On Saturday, June 12, 2021, we honored the department’s graduating PhD, master’s and bachelor’s degree candidates through virtual celebrations.
“The Class of 2021 has shown us their passion for science, their intellect, and their ability to withstand the most challenging and extraordinary circumstances imaginable,” said Department Chair Professor Neil Garg. “This has truly been a difficult time and they have met it with courage and persistence. We are so proud of them and all that they have accomplished.”
The Departmental 2021 Virtual Graduation Celebration for our 48 graduating Ph.D. degree candidates and two master’s of science candidates can be viewed online here. The celebration includes a video of each student and remarks by each student’s research advisor (in lieu of a hooding ceremony).
The Departmental 2021 Virtual Graduation Celebration for our 283 bachelor’s of science degree candidates can also be viewed online here. The celebration includes commemorative videos by students and faculty and a slideshow honoring commencement award recipient
Our graduates were also honored through university-wide events. UCLA’s Graduate Division’s virtual celebration for the Doctoral Class of 2021 premiered on Friday, June 11, and UCLA College’s prerecorded virtual celebration for the Doctoral Class of 2021 premiered on Thursday, June 10.
Awards are normally presented to our students at Commencement and at our annual Departmental Awards ceremony, which was also postponed. Learn about this year’s award recipients at the links below. We are incredibly grateful to the donors who make these awards possible:
Graduate Student Awards:
- 2021 Ralph & Charlene Bauer Graduate Student Awards
- 2021 Jim & Barbara Tsay Excellence in Second Year Research & Academics Graduate Student Awards
- 2021 Excellence in Research Graduate Student Awards
- 2021 Graduate Student Commencement Awards
- 2021 Michael E. Jung Excellence in Teaching Awards
Undergraduate Student Awards:
- 2021 Undergraduate Student Departmental Awards
- 2021 Undergraduate Student Commencement Awards
- 2021 Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowships
Penny Jennings, UCLA Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry, email@example.com.