Chair’s Welcome Message
The UCLA Chemistry & Biochemistry Department has a tradition of excellence and is ranked among the best in the country, as evidenced by the quality of its programs, the caliber of its faculty, and the excellence of its students. The Department is a leader in cutting-edge research and innovative educational programs.
The faculty, staff, and students of the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry are strongly committed to promoting equity, inclusion, and diversity.
On March 18, 1929, the first chemistry class met at UCLA’s Westwood campus, six months before the official opening of the campus. The 125 students enrolled in Chemistry 1A were the first to receive instruction in the class taught by Professor Hosmer W. Stone