|Office||540 Boyer Hall|
|Office Phone||(855) 810-0905|
Dr. Wollman’s training was highly interdisciplinary including statistics, biophysics, experimental biology. He is passionate about science, mentoring, and kite flying.
The Wollman lab studies information processing in intracellular and intercellular signaling networks in the presence of a high degree of single-cell variability. A particular focus is on the connection between gene expression and signaling dynamics at the single cell level.
The Wollman lab measures, models, and manipulates signaling activities at the single-cell level to understand Dynamic Cellular Information Processing. We strive to understand cellular decision-making, biological variation, and biological noise using multidisciplinary approaches.
- Measure: We develop methods in single-cell fluorescence microscopy in combination with computational image analysis to evaluate the distribution of cellular responses in real-time. The resulting high-throughput datasets are quantified using computational data analysis and interpreted using advanced statistical methods.
- Model: We use mathematical modeling based on signaling pathway mechanisms to infer and predict the details of mechanistic cellular signaling.
- Manipulate: We experimentally investigate a cellular signaling system by manipulating the internal and external cellular environment both spatially and temporally at the single-cell level. Specific approaches include microfluidic devices, genetic and pharmaceutical perturbations, and optogenetics.
Below are a selected list of publications. For the full list, please visit here.
- Foreman, R., & Wollman, R. (2020). Mammalian gene expression variability is explained by underlying cell state. Molecular systems biology, 16(2), e9146.
- Oyler-Yaniv, J.; Oyler-Yaniv, A.; Maltz, E.; Wollman, R. TNF Controls a Speed-Accuracy Tradeoff in the Apoptotic Decision to Restrict Viral Spread. Cold Harbor Spring Laboratory 2020.
- Haglund Ellinor, Pilko Anna, Wollman Roy, Jennings Patricia Ann, Onuchic JosÃ© Nelson Pierced Lasso Topology Controls Function in Leptin The journal of physical chemistry. B, 2017; 121(4): 706-718.
- Yao Jason, Pilko Anna, Wollman Roy Distinct cellular states determine calcium signalingÂ response Molecular systems biology, 2016; 12(12): 894.
- Handly L Naomi, Yao Jason, Wollman Roy Signal Transduction at the Single-Cell Level: Approaches to Study the Dynamic Nature of Signaling Networks Journal of molecular biology, 2016; 428(19): 3669-82.
- Pinter-Wollman Noa, Keiser Carl N, Wollman Roy, Pruitt Jonathan N The Effect of Keystone Individuals on Collective Outcomes Can Be Mediated through Interactions or Behavioral Persistence The American naturalist, 2016; 188(2): 240-52.
- Handly L Naomi, Pilko Anna, Wollman Roy Paracrine communication maximizes cellular response fidelity in wound signaling eLife, 2015; 4(2): e09652.
- Ourthiague Diana R, Birnbaum Harry, OrtenlÃ¶f Niklas, Vargas Jesse D, Wollman Roy, Hoffmann Alexander Limited specificity of IRF3 and ISGF3 in the transcriptional innate-immune response to double-stranded RNA Journal of leukocyte biology, 2015; 98(1): 119-28.
- Selimkhanov Jangir, Taylor Brooks, Yao Jason, Pilko Anna, Albeck John, Hoffmann Alexander, Tsimring Lev, Wollman Roy Systems biology. Accurate information transmission through dynamic biochemical signaling networks Science (New York, N.Y.), 2014; 346(6215): 1370-3.
- Wollman Roy Development. Counting the ways to decode dynamic signals Science (New York, N.Y.), 2014; 343(6177): 1326-7.
- Santos Silvia D M, Wollman Roy, Meyer Tobias, Ferrell James E Spatial positive feedback at the onset of mitosis Cell, 2012; 149(7): 1500-13.
- Mogilner Alex, Allard Jun, Wollman Roy Cell polarity: quantitative modeling as a tool in cell biology Science (New York, N.Y.), 2012; 336(6078): 175-9.
- Pinter-Wollman Noa, Wollman Roy, Guetz Adam, Holmes Susan, Gordon Deborah M The effect of individual variation on the structure and function of interaction networks in harvester ants Journal of the Royal Society, Interface, 2011; 8(64): 1562-73.
- Civelekoglu-Scholey Gul, Tao Li, Brust-Mascher Ingrid, Wollman Roy, Scholey Jonathan M Prometaphase spindle maintenance by an antagonistic motor-dependent force balance made robust by a disassembling lamin-B envelope The Journal of cell biology, 2010; 188(1): 49-68.
- Paul Raja, Wollman Roy, Silkworth William T, Nardi Isaac K, Cimini Daniela, Mogilner Alex Computer simulations predict that chromosome movements and rotations accelerate mitotic spindle assembly without compromising accuracy Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 2009; 106(37): 15708-13.
- Paulsen Renee D, Soni Deena V, Wollman Roy, Hahn Angela T, Yee Muh-Ching, Guan Anna, Hesley Jayne A, Miller Steven C, Cromwell Evan F, Solow-Cordero David E, Meyer Tobias, Cimprich Karlene A A genome-wide siRNA screen reveals diverse cellular processes and pathways that mediate genome stability Molecular cell, 2009; 35(2): 228-39.
- Wollman Roy, Civelekoglu-Scholey Gul, Scholey Jonathan M, Mogilner Alex Reverse engineering of force integration during mitosis in the Drosophila embryo Molecular systems biology, 2008; 4(2): 195.
- Wollman Roy, Stuurman Nico High throughput microscopy: from raw images to discoveries Journal of cell science, 2007; 120(Pt 21): 3715-22.
- Goshima Gohta, Wollman Roy, Goodwin Sarah S, Zhang Nan, Scholey Jonathan M, Vale Ronald D, Stuurman Nico Genes required for mitotic spindle assembly in Drosophila S2 cells Science (New York, N.Y.), 2007; 316(5823): 417-21.
- Tao Li, Mogilner Alex, Civelekoglu-Scholey Gul, Wollman Roy, Evans James, Stahlberg Henning, Scholey Jonathan M A homotetrameric kinesin-5, KLP61F, bundles microtubules and antagonizes Ncd in motility assays Current biology : CB, 2006; 16(23): 2293-302.
- Mogilner Alex, Wollman Roy, Marshall Wallace F Quantitative modeling in cell biology: what is it good for? Developmental cell, 2006; 11(3): 279-87.
- Mogilner Alex, Wollman Roy, Civelekoglu-Scholey Gul, Scholey Jonathan Modeling mitosis Trends in cell biology, 2006; 16(2): 88-96.
- Goshima Gohta, Wollman Roy, Stuurman Nico, Scholey Jonathan M, Vale Ronald D Length control of the metaphase spindle Current biology : CB, 2005; 15(22): 1979-88.
- Green Rebecca A, Wollman Roy, Kaplan Kenneth B APC and EB1 function together in mitosis to regulate spindle dynamics and chromosome alignment Molecular biology of the cell, 2005; 16(10): 4609-22.
- Gutman Roee, Berezin Carine, Wollman Roy, Rosenberg Yossi, Ben-Tal Nir QuasiMotiFinder: protein annotation by searching for evolutionarily conserved motif-like patterns Nucleic acids research, 2005; 33(Web Server issue): W255-61.