Dr. Bouchard obtained a bachelor’s degree in physics and business management from McGill University in Montréal, Canada, a Master’s degree in medical biophysics from the University of Toronto and a Ph.D. in Chemistry from Princeton University. His doctoral dissertation explores the use of multiple quantum coherence and long-range dipolar interactions in condensed matter to characterize heterogeneous material microstructure. During his stay in the laboratory of Alex Pines at the University of California, Berkeley he developed novel approaches and methodologies to portable, low-field NMR and MRI, microfluidics and hyperpolarization methods to the study of chemical reactions. He joined the UCLA faculty during the summer of 2008 to pursue research in physical chemistry.
Professor Louis Bouchard and his group conduct experimental research in physical & analytical chemistry, materials and bioengineering. The group is involved in the development of engineering solutions for immunotherapy, contrast agents & drug delivery systems for biomedical imaging, biosensing, tissue engineering, high frequency electromagnetics, condensed matter physics and catalysis.
His group combines a range of laboratory and techniques from chemical synthesis to instrumentation development and various spectroscopies based on specific needs of the research.
We are currently recruiting students to work on three projects (machine learning, molecular kinetics and quantum computing).
Honors & Awards
- 2015 ΑΧΣ (UCLA) Glenn T. Seaborg Award
- 2015 Chinese Academy of Sciences | CAS President’s International Fellowship
- 2014 Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center | Seed Grant Award
- 2014 UCLA Diversity & Faculty Development | Faculty Career Development Award
- 2013 UCLA Diversity & Faculty Development | Faculty Career Development Award
- 2013 Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center | Seed Grant Award
- 2012 Arnold and Mabel Beckman Foundation | Beckman Young Investigator Award
- 2012 Exploratory Research Space | RWTH Aachen University
- 2012 UCLA Diversity & Faculty Development | Faculty Career Development Award
- 2011 Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center | Seed Grant Award
- 2011 UCLA Council on Research | Faculty Research Grant Award
- 2010 Spectroscopy Society of Pittsburgh | Starter Grant Award
- 2008 Camille and Henry Dreyfus Foundation | New Faculty Award