Garg, Neil K.
Molecular Sciences Building 5505C
Molecular Sciences Building 5234, 5235
Professor Garg received his B.S. degree in 2000 from New York University, and his PhD in 2005 from the California Institute of Technology. After training as an NIH postdoctoral scholar at the University of California, Irvine, he joined the faculty at UCLA in 2007. In 2012, he was appointed as Vice Chair for Education. In 2013, Professor Garg was promoted to full Professor.
Professor Garg received a B.S. in Chemistry from New York University where he did undergraduate research with Professor Marc Walters. During his undergraduate years, he spent several months in Strasbourg, France while conducting research with Professor Mir Wais Hosseini at Université Louis Pasteur as an NSF REU Fellow. Garg obtained his PhD in 2005 from the California Institute of Technology under the direction of Professor Brian Stoltz. He then joined Professor Larry Overman's research laboratory at the University of California, Irvine as an NIH Postdoctoral Scholar. In 2007, Garg joined the faculty at UCLA.
In 2013, Professor Garg was promoted to full Professor.
Professor Neil Garg and his coworkers develop new reaction methodologies and synthetic strategies to prepare complex organic molecules. Specific areas of interest include cross-coupling reactions, green chemistry, heterocycle synthesis, and natural product total synthesis.
Honors & Awards
- Arthur C. Cope Scholar Award, 2015
- UCLA Distinguished Teaching Award & Eby Award for the Art of Teaching, 2014
- Bristol-Myers Squibb Unrestricted Grant in Synthetic Organic Chemistry, 2013
- Camille Dreyfus Teacher-Scholar Award, 2013
- S. T. Li Prize for Achievements in Science and Technology, 2012
- ACS Green Chemistry Institute Pharmaceutical Roundtable Grantee Award, 2012
- A. P. Sloan Research Fellowship, 2012
- Glenn T. Seaborg Award, 2012
- Roche Excellence in Chemistry Award, 2012
- UCLA Hanson–Dow Award for Excellence in Teaching, 2011
- UCLA Herbert Newby McCoy Award, 2011
- AstraZeneca Excellence in Chemistry Award, 2011
- Amgen Young Investigator Award, 2011
- Eli Lilly Grantee Award, 2010
- DuPont Young Professor Award, 2010
- NSF CAREER Award, 2010
- Thieme Chemistry Journal Award, 2010
- Boehringer Ingelheim New Investigator Award, 2009
- UCLA Faculty Career Development Award, 2008
- UCLA Faculty Research Grant, 2008
- National Institutes of Health Pathway to Independence Award, 2006–2010
- National Institutes of Health Postdoctoral Fellowship, 2005–2006
- Herbert Newby McCoy Thesis Award at the California Institute of Technology, 2005
- Dow Chemical Company Travel Fellowship, 2002
- National Defense Science & Engineering Graduate Fellowship, 2001–2004
[ Selected Publications ]
- Total Synthesis of the Akuammiline Alkaloid Picrinine. Joel M. Smith, Jesus Moreno, Ben W. Boal, and Neil K. Garg. J.Am. Chem. Soc. 2014, 136,4504.
- Concise Enantiospecific Total Synthesis of Tubingensin A. Adam E. Goetz, Amanda L. Silberstein, Michael A. Corsello, and Neil K. Garg. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2014,136, 3036.
- Total Syntheses of Indolactam Alkaloids (–)-Indolactam V,(–)-Pendolmycin, (–)-Lyngbyatoxin A, and (–)-Teleocidin A-2. Noah F. Fine Nathel, Tejas K. Shah, Sarah M. Bronner, and Neil K. Garg. Chem.Sci. 2014,5, 2184.
- Enantiospecific Total Synthesis of N-Methylwelwitindolinone D Isonitrile. Evan D. Styduhar, Alexander D. Huters, Nicholas A. Weires, and Neil K. Garg. Angew.Chem. Int. Ed. 2013, 52, 12422.
- Regioselective Reactions of 3,4-Pyridynes Enabled by the Aryne Distortion Model. Adam E. Goetz and Neil K. Garg. Nature Chemistry 2013, 5, 54.
- Steric Effects Compete with Aryne Distortion to Control Regioselectivities of Nucleophilic Additions to 3-Silylarynes. Sarah M. Bronner, Joel L. Mackey, K. N. Houk, and Neil K. Garg. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2012, 134, 13966.
- Total Synthesis of Oxidized Welwitindolinones and (–)-N-Methylwelwitindolinone C Isonitrile. Kyle W. Quasdorf, Alexander D. Huters, Michael W. Lodewyk, Dean J. Tantillo, and Neil K. Garg. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2012, 134, 1396.
- Total Synthesis of (–)-N-Methylwelwitindolinone C Isothiocyanate. Alexander D. Huters, Kyle W. Quasdorf, Evan D. Styduhar, and Neil K. Garg. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2011, 133, 15797.
- Total Synthesis of (±)-Aspidophylline A. Liansuo Zu, Ben W. Boal, and Neil K. Garg. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2011,133, 8877.
- Overturning Indolyne Regioselectivities and Synthesis of Indolactam V. Sarah M. Bronner, Adam E. Goetz, and Neil K. Garg. J.Am. Chem. Soc. 2011, 133, 3832.
- Nickel-Catalyzed Amination of Aryl Sulfamates. Stephen D. Ramgren, Amanda L. Silberstein, Yang Yang, and Neil K. Garg. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2011, 50, 2171.
- Indolyne and Aryne Distortions and Nucleophilic Regioselectivities. Paul H.-Y. Cheong, Robert S. Paton, Sarah M. Bronner, G-Yoon J. Im, Neil K. Garg, and K. N. Houk. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2010, 132,1267.
- Suzuki–Miyaura Coupling of Aryl Carbamates, Carbonates, and Sulfamates. Kyle W. Quasdorf, Michelle Riener, Krastina V. Petrova, and Neil K. Garg. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2009, 131, 17748.
- Cross-Coupling Reactions of Aryl Pivalates with Boronic Acids. Kyle W. Quasdorf, Xia Tian, and Neil K. Garg. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2008, 130, 14422.