Structural and Computational Biology
Systems Biology and Biological Regulation
Proteomics and Bioinformatics
Graduate Program in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
College Executive Deans Office
Boyer Hall 405
Dr. Reisler received his B.A. from the Hebrew University in Jerusalem, Israel and his Ph.D. from the Weizmann Institute of Science in Rehovot, Israel. He was a Postdoctoral Scholar in the Biology Department of the Johns Hopkins University.
Cell motility and cytoskeleton
Work done by muscle and non-muscle cells requires the transduction of chemical into mechanical energy. This function is carried out by actin, tubulin, and a family of motor proteins. The interactions between these proteins and the changes in their structure constitute the molecular basis for force generation and motility in muscle and non-muscle cells. Our goal of elucidating the mechanism of contractile processes is pursued at two levels. At the molecular level, we are concerned with the structural and dynamic properties of the contractile proteins. We explore structure-function relationships in actin, myosin and other proteins by biochemical, biophysical, immunochemical, mutational, and in the vitro motility and force measurements. Intermediate steps in the contractile process are probed with the help of nucleotide analogues, specific antibodies, synthetic peptides, and appropriate mutants of the key proteins. The aim of these studies is to obtain a structural description of the mechanism of motion and force generation by motor proteins., At the cellular level, we study the function, interactions, and structural transitions of the assembled protein systems.
Many filamentous cellular structures are constructed from their components through fine-tuned assembly processes. The biological function of these filaments is frequently linked to the signaling and the regulation of assembly by cellular factors. Our interest is focused on the formation and remodeling of actin filaments, bundles, and networks by actin binding proteins. The mechanisms of the assembly reactions and the structural changes which govern them are studied by biophysical, biochemical, and electron microscopy methods. To understand the regulation of actin assembly by other proteins, macromolecular contact sites are investigated by a wide spectrum of experimental techniques.
- drebrin Inhibits Cofilin-Induced Severing of F-Actin. Grintsevich Elena E, Reisler Emil Cytoskeleton (Hoboken). 2014 Jul 22. doi: 10.1002/cm.21184.[Epub ahead of print].
- Nanostructured self-assembly of inverted formin 2 (INF2) and F-actin-INF2 complexes revealed by atomic force microscopy Sharma Shivani, Grintsevich Elena E, Woo JungReem, Gurel Pinar S, Higgs Henry N, Reisler Emil,Gimzewski James K Langmuir. 2014 Jul 1;30(25):7533-9.
- INF2-mediated severing through actin filament encirclement and disruption. Gurel Pinar S, Ge Peng,Grintsevich Elena E, Shu Rui, Blanchoin Laurent, Z. Hong Zhou,Reisler Emil, Higgs Henry N. Curr Biol. 2014 Jan 20;24(2):156-64.
- Cofilin-induced changes in F-actin detected via cross-linking with benzophenone-4-maleimide. Chen Christine K, Benchaar Sabrina A, Phan Mai, Grintsevich Elena E, Loo Rachel R, Loo Joseph A, Reisler Emil Biochemistry. 2013 Aug 13;52(32):5503-9.
- Correlative nanoscale imaging of actin filaments and their complexes. Sharma Shivani, Zhu Huanqi, Grintsevich Elena E, Reisler Emil, Gimzewski James K. Nanoscale. 2013 Jul 7;5(13):5692-702.
- Drebrin-induced stabilization of actin filaments Mikati Mouna A, Grintsevich Elena E, Reisler Emil J Biol Chem. 2013 Jul 5;288(27):19926-38
ATP and ADP actin states Dmitri S. Kudryashov, Reisler Emil Biopolymers. 2013 Apr;99(4):245-56.
- Identification of cation-binding sites on actin that drive polymerization and modulate bending stiffness Hyeran Kang, Michael J. Bradley, Brannon R. McCullough, Anaëlle Pierre, Elena E.Grintsevich, Emil Reisler, Enrique M. De La Cruza Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012 Oct 16;109(42)
- Structural states and dynamics of the D-loop in actin. Durer Zenep A, Kudryashov Dmitri S, Sawaya Michael R, Altenbach Christian, Hubbell Wayne, Reisler Emil Biophys J. 2012 Sep 5;103(5):930-9.
- Molecular cooperativity of drebrin1-300 binding and structural remodeling of F-actin. Sharma Shivani, Grintsevich Elena E, Hsueh Carlin, Reisler Emil, Gimzewski James K. Biophys J. 2012 Jul 18;103(2):275-83.
- Multiple forms of Spire-actin complexes and their functional consequences. Chen Christine K, Sawaya Michael R, Phillips Martin L, Reisler Emil, Quinlan Margot E The Journal of biological chemistry, 2012; 287(13): 10684-92.
- Atomic force microscopy reveals drebrin induced remodeling of f-actin with subnanometer resolution. Sharma Shivani, Grintsevich Elena E, Phillips Martin L, Reisler Emil, Gimzewski James K Nano letters, 2011; 11(2): 825-7.
- Polycation induced actin bundles. Muhlrad Andras, Grintsevich Elena E, Reisler Emil Biophysical chemistry, 2011; .
- Remodeling of actin filaments by ADF/cofilin proteins. Galkin Vitold E, Orlova Albina, Kudryashov Dmitri S, Solodukhin Alexander, Reisler Emil, SchrÃ¶der Gunnar F, Egelman Edward H Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 2011; 108(51): 20568-72.
- Myosin binding surface on actin probed by hydroxyl radical footprinting and site-directed labels. Oztug Durer Zeynep A, Kamal J K Amisha, Benchaar Sabrina, Chance Mark R, Reisler Emil Journal of molecular biology, 2011; 414(2): 204-16.
- Cofilin-linked changes in actin filament flexibility promote severing. McCullough Brannon R, Grintsevich Elena E, Chen Christine K, Kang Hyeran, Hutchison Alan L, Henn Arnon, Cao Wenxiang, Suarez Cristian, Martiel Jean-Louis, Blanchoin Laurent, Reisler Emil, De La Cruz Enrique M Biophysical journal, 2011; 101(1): 151-9.
- A nucleotide state-sensing region on actin. Kudryashov Dmitri S, Grintsevich Elena E, Rubenstein Peter A, Reisler Emil The Journal of biological chemistry, 2010; 285(33): 25591-601.
- Antiparallel dimer and actin assembly. Grintsevich Elena E, Phillips Martin, Pavlov Dmitry, Phan Mai, Reisler Emil, Muhlrad Andras Biochemistry, 2010; 49(18): 3919-27.
- Mapping of drebrin binding site on F-actin. Grintsevich Elena E, Galkin Vitold E, Orlova Albina, Ytterberg A Jimmy, Mikati Mouna M, Kudryashov Dmitri S, Loo Joseph A, Egelman Edward H, Reisler Emil Journal of molecular biology, 2010; 398(4): 542-54.
- F-actin structure destabilization and DNase I binding loop: fluctuations mutational cross-linking and electron microscopy analysis of loop states and effects on F-actin. Oztug Durer Zeynep A, Diraviyam Karthikeyan, Sept David, Kudryashov Dmitri S, Reisler Emil Journal of molecular biology, 2010; 395(3): 544-57.
- Effects of binding factors on structural elements in F-actin. Scoville Damon, Stamm John D, Altenbach Christian, Shvetsov Alexander, Kokabi Kaveh, Rubenstein Peter A, Hubbell Wayne L, Reisler Emil Biochemistry, 2009; 48(2): 370-8.
- The actin-binding domain of cortactin is dynamic and unstructured and affects lateral and longitudinal contacts in F-actin. Shvetsov Alexander, Berkane Emir, Chereau David, Dominguez Roberto, Reisler Emil Cell motility and the cytoskeleton, 2009; 66(2): 90-8.
- Actin hydrophobic loop 262-274 and filament nucleation and elongation. Shvetsov Alexander, Galkin Vitold E, Orlova Albina, Phillips Martin, Bergeron Sarah E, Rubenstein Peter A, Egelman Edward H, Reisler Emil Journal of molecular biology, 2008; 375(3): 793-801.
- Characterization of the enzymatic activity of the actin cross-linking domain from the Vibrio cholerae MARTX Vc toxin. Kudryashov Dmitri S, Cordero Christina L, Reisler Emil, Satchell Karla J Fullner The Journal of biological chemistry, 2008; 283(1): 445-52.
- Connecting actin monomers by iso-peptide bond is a toxicity mechanism of the Vibrio cholerae MARTX toxin. Kudryashov Dmitri S, Durer Zeynep A Oztug, Ytterberg A Jimmy, Sawaya Michael R, Pashkov Inna, Prochazkova Katerina, Yeates Todd O, Loo Rachel R Ogorzalek, Loo Joseph A, Satchell Karla J Fullner, Reisler Emil Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 2008; 105(47): 18537-42.
- Mapping the cofilin binding site on yeast G-actin by chemical cross-linking. Grintsevich Elena E, Benchaar Sabrina A, Warshaviak Dora, Boontheung Pinmanee, Halgand Frédéric, Whitelegge Julian P, Faull Kym F, Loo Rachel R Ogorzalek, Sept David, Loo Joseph A, Reisler Emil Journal of molecular biology, 2008; 377(2): 395-409.
- Multiple crystal structures of actin dimers and their implications for interactions in the actin filament. Sawaya Michael R, Kudryashov D S, Pashkov Inna, Adisetiyo Helty, Reisler Emil, Yeates Todd O Acta crystallographica. Section D, Biological crystallography, 2008; 64(Pt 4): 454-65.
- Actin filament severing by cofilin. Pavlov Dmitry, Muhlrad Andras, Cooper John, Wear Martin, Reisler Emil Journal of molecular biology, 2007; 365(5): 1350-8.
- Actin structure and function: what we still do not understand. Reisler Emil, Egelman Edward H The Journal of biological chemistry, 2007; 282(50): 36133-7.
- Mapping the interaction of cofilin with subdomain 2 on actin. Benchaar Sabrina A, Xie Yongming, Phillips Martin, Loo Rachel R Ogorzalek, Galkin Vitold E, Orlova Albina, Thevis Mario, Muhlrad Andras, Almo Steven C, Loo Joseph A, Egelman Edward H, Reisler Emil Biochemistry, 2007; 46(1): 225-33.
- Three-dimensional structure of cofilin bound to monomeric actin derived by structural mass spectrometry data. Kamal J K Amisha, Benchaar Sabrina A, Takamoto Keiji, Reisler Emil, Chance Mark R Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 2007; 104(19): 7910-5.
- Antagonistic effects of cofilin, beryllium fluoride complex, and phalloidin on subdomain 2 and nucleotide-binding cleft in F-actin. Muhlrad Andras, Ringel Israel, Pavlov Dmitry, Peyser Y Michael, Reisler Emil Biophysical journal, 2006; 91(12): 4490-9.
- Kudryashov D S, Galkin V E, Orlova A, Phan M, Egelman E H, Reisler E Cofilin cross-bridges adjacent actin protomers and replaces part of the longitudinal F-actin interface. Journal of molecular biology, 2006; 358(3): 785-97.
- Conformational dynamics of loop 262-274 in G- and F-actin. Shvetsov Alexander, Stamm John D, Phillips Martin, Warshaviak Dora, Altenbach Christian, Rubenstein Peter A, Hideg Kálmán, Hubbell Wayne L, Reisler Emil Biochemistry, 2006; 45(20): 6541-9.
- Cooperative effects of cofilin (ADF) on actin structure suggest allosteric mechanism of cofilin function. Bobkov Andrey A, Muhlrad Andras, Pavlov Dmitry A, Kokabi Kaveh, Yilmaz Atilgan, Reisler Emil Journal of molecular biology, 2006; 356(2): 325-34.
- Hydrophobic loop dynamics and actin filament stability. Scoville Damon, Stamm John D, Toledo-Warshaviak Dora, Altenbach Christian, Phillips Martin, Shvetsov Alexander, Rubenstein Peter A, Hubbell Wayne L, Reisler Emil Biochemistry, 2006; 45(45): 13576-84.
- Inorganic phosphate regulates the binding of cofilin to actin filaments. Muhlrad Andras, Pavlov Dmitry, Peyser Y Michael, Reisler Emil The FEBS journal, 2006; 273(7): 1488-96.
- Polyamine-induced bundling of F-actin. Sowa Glenna Z, Cannell David S, Liu Andrea J, Reisler Emil The journal of physical chemistry. B, 2006; 110(44): 22279-84.
- Severing of F-actin by yeast cofilin is pH-independent. Pavlov Dmitry, Muhlrad Andras, Cooper John, Wear Martin, Reisler Emil Cell motility and the cytoskeleton, 2006; 63(9): 533-42.
- The Actin cross-linking domain of the Vibrio cholerae RTX toxin directly catalyzes the covalent cross-linking of actin. Cordero Christina L, Kudryashov Dmitry S, Reisler Emil, Satchell Karla J Fullner The Journal of biological chemistry, 2006; 281(43): 32366-74.
- Structure and dynamics of the actin filament. Guan Jing-Qu, Takamoto Keiji, Almo Steven C, Reisler Emil, Chance Mark R Biochemistry, 2005; 44(9): 3166-75.
- The crystal structure of a cross-linked actin dimer suggests a detailed molecular interface in F-actin. Kudryashov Dmitry S, Sawaya Michael R, Adisetiyo Helty, Norcross Todd, Hegyi György, Reisler Emil, Yeates Todd O Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 2005; 102(37): 13105-10.
- Actin-destabilizing factors disrupt filaments by means of a time reversal of polymerization. Orlova Albina, Shvetsov Alexander, Galkin Vitold E, Kudryashov Dmitry S, Rubenstein Peter A, Egelman Edward H, Reisler Emil Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 2004; 101(51): 17664-8.
- Cofilin (ADF) affects lateral contacts in F-actin. Bobkov Andrey A, Muhlrad Andras, Shvetsov Alexander, Benchaar Sabrina, Scoville Damon, Almo Steven C, Reisler Emil Journal of molecular biology, 2004; 337(1): 93-104.
- Cofilin induced conformational changes in F-actin expose subdomain 2 to proteolysis. Muhlrad Andras, Kudryashov Dmitry, Michael Peyser Y, Bobkov Andrey A, Almo Steve C, Reisler Emil Journal of molecular biology, 2004; 342(5): 1559-67.
- Formation and destabilization of actin filaments with tetramethylrhodamine-modified actin. Kudryashov Dmitry S, Phillips Martin, Reisler Emil Biophysical journal, 2004; 87(2): 1136-45.
- ADF/cofilin use an intrinsic mode of F-actin instability to disrupt actin filaments. Galkin Vitold E, Orlova Albina, VanLoock Margaret S, Shvetsov Alexander, Reisler Emil, Egelman Edward H The Journal of cell biology, 2003; 163(5): 1057-66.
- Chemical decoupling of ATPase activation and force production from the contractile cycle in myosin by steric hindrance of lever-arm movement. Muhlrad Andras, Peyser Y Michael, Nili Mahta, Ajtai Katalin, Reisler Emil, Burghardt Thomas P Biophysical journal, 2003; 84(2 Pt 1): 1047-56.
- Conformation and dynamics of the SH1-SH2 helix in scallop myosin. Nitao Lisa K, Loo Rachel R Ogorzalek, O'Neall-Hennessey Elizabeth, Loo Joseph A, Szent-Györgyi Andrew G, Reisler Emil Biochemistry, 2003; 42(25): 7663-74.
- Solution properties of tetramethylrhodamine-modified G-actin. Kudryashov Dmitry S, Reisler Emil Biophysical journal, 2003; 85(4): 2466-75.
- Structural reorganization of proteins revealed by radiolysis and mass spectrometry: G-actin solution structure is divalent cation dependent. Guan Jing-Qu, Almo Steven C, Reisler Emil, Chance Mark R Biochemistry, 2003; 42(41): 11992-2000.
- The regulation of subtilisin-cleaved actin by tropomyosin/troponin. Pavlov Dmitry, Gerson Jack H, Yu Tianwei, Tobacman Larry S, Homsher Earl, Reisler Emil The Journal of biological chemistry, 2003; 278(8): 5517-22.
- Actin cross-linking and inhibition of the actomyosin motor. Kim Eldar, Bobkova Elena, Hegyi György, Muhlrad Andras, Reisler Emil Biochemistry, 2002; 41(1): 86-93.
- Conformational dynamics of the SH1-SH2 helix in the transition states of myosin subfragment-1. Nitao Lisa K, Yeates Todd O, Reisler Emil Biophysical journal, 2002; 83(5): 2733-41.
- Insights into actomyosin interactions from actin mutations. Doyle, TC Reisler, E Results and problems in cell differentiation. , 2002; 36: 31-49.
- Insights into actomyosin interactions from actin mutations. Doyle Timothy C, Reisler Emil Results and problems in cell differentiation, 2002; 36(1): 31-49.
- Locking the hydrophobic loop 262-274 to G-actin surface by a disulfide bridge prevents filament formation. Shvetsov Alexander, Musib Runa, Phillips Martin, Rubenstein Peter A, Reisler Emil Biochemistry, 2002; 41(35): 10787-93.
- Structural effects of cofilin on longitudinal contacts in F-actin. Bobkov Andrey A, Muhlrad Andras, Kokabi Kaveh, Vorobiev Sergey, Almo Steven C, Reisler Emil Journal of molecular biology, 2002; 323(4): 739-50.
- Thin filament regulation and ionic interactions between the N-terminal region in actin and troponin. Wong Wenise W, Gerson Jack H, Rubenstein Peter A, Reisler Emil Biophysical journal, 2002; 83(5): 2726-32.