A native of North Carolina, Daniel received his B.S. in chemistry with a concentration in research from the University of North Carolina Greensboro (UNCG). During his time a UNCG, Daniel worked for Prof. Mitch Croatt and contributed to five publications including work conducted while studying abroad at Bristol University in England.
After graduation, he moved to Ann Arbor, MI to pursue his Ph.D. in organic chemistry at the University of Michigan. While working in the lab of Prof. Corinna Schindler, Daniel combined his synthetic skills with computational techniques to explore new modes of reactivity between carbonyls and olefins.
In 2020, Daniel joined the faculty at the University of California Los Angeles (UCLA) as the Donald J. Cram Teacher-Scholar. While at UCLA, Daniel is conducting research in the lab of Prof. Neil Garg applying nickel catalyzed transformations to new frontiers. He is also teaching undergraduate organic chemistry laboratory courses.
- Davis, A. J.;* Watson, R. B.;* Nasrallah D. J.; Gomez-Lopez, J. L.; Schindler, C. S. “Superelectrophilic Aluminum(III)-Ion Pairs Promote a Distinct Reaction Path for Carbonyl-Olefin Ring Closing Metathesis” Nat. Catal. 2020, 3, 787-796 *contributed equally
- Riehl, P. R.; Nasrallah, D. J.; Schindler, C. S. “Catalytic, Transannular Carbonyl-Olefin Metathesis Reactions” Chem. Sci., 2019, 10, 10267-10274.
- Ludwig, J. R.; Watson, R. B.;* Nasrallah, D. J.;* Gianino, J. B.; Zimmerman, P. M.; Wiscons, R. A.; Schindler, C. S. “Interrupted carbonyl-olefin metathesis via oxygen atom transfer” Science 2018, 361, 1363-1369. *contributed equally
- Fakhouri, L; Cook, C.; Al-Huniti, M.; Console-Bram, L.; Hurst, D.; Spano, M.; Nasrallah, D.; Caron, M.; Barak, L.; Reggio, P.; Abood, M.; Croatt, M. “Design, synthesis and biological evaluation of GPR55 agonists” Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry 2017, 25, 4355-4367.
- Hyatt, I. F. D.; Nasrallah, D. J.; Maxwell, M. A.; Hairston, A. C. F.; Abdalhameed, M. M.; Croatt M. P. “Formation and in situ reactions of hypervalent iodonium alkynyl triflates to form cyanocarbenes” Chemical Communications 2015, 51, 5287-5289.
- Smith, C. L.; Hirschhäuser, C.; Malcolm, G. K.; Nasrallah, D. J.; Gallagher T. “Synthesis of mono- and diaza-‘pyridones’ via Stille coupling of alkoxystannanes” Synlett 2014, 13,1904-1908.
- Nasrallah, D. J.; Croatt, M. P. “Rhodium(I)-catalyzed [2+2+2+2] cycloaddition of a diyne to form a cyclooctatetraene” European Journal of Organic Chemistry 2014, 18, 3767.
- Hyatt, I. F. D.; Nasrallah, D. J.; Croatt, M. P. “Synthesis of hypervalent iodonium alkynyl triflates for the application of generating cyanocarbenes” Journal of Visualized Experiments 2013, 79, e50886, DOI:10.3791/50886.