|Office||Young Hall 3077E|
|Office Phone||(310) 825-1853|
Jennifer grew up in Downey, California. After graduating from Downey High School, Jennifer attended the California State University of Long Beach (CSULB) where she was a Presidential Scholar. While at CSULB, she majored in chemistry and minored in mathematics. She performed research in organic chemistry with Dr. Kensaku Nakayama and in physical chemistry with Dr. Brian McClain. After graduating from CSULB (summa cum laude) in 2007 Jennifer attended graduate school at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA).
At UCLA, Jennifer joined the group of Dr. Benjamin Schwartz where she investigated the structural properties of the hydrated electron using mixed quantum/classical molecular dynamics simulations. While at UCLA she also acted as a teaching assistant for many quarters, eventually earning the Hanson-Dow Excellence in Teaching Award in 2009. She participated in the NSF GK-12 program where she acted as a resident scientist for local high schools from 2010-2011. She completed her dissertation in 2014.
After obtaining her Ph.D., Jennifer worked as a visiting-assistant professor at Sonoma State University from 2014-2015. There she worked on developing a Foundational Level General Science Waiver. In 2015 she lectured at Loyola Marymount University and participated in the Center for Teaching Excellence Credential Program.
Jennifer is currently teaching General Chemistry at UCLA. Her work at UCLA also includes chemical education research conducted under the advisement of Dr. Arlene Russell.
Honors & Awards
- LMU Center for Teaching Excellence Credential Program (2016)
- Participant in Quality Online Learning and Teaching (QOLT) Program (2015)
- Fellowship for Excellence in Graduate School (UCLA, 2014)
- Dissertation Year Fellowship (UCLA, 2013-2014)
- National Science Foundation GK-12 Fellowship (UCLA, 2010-2011)
- Hanson-Dow Excellence in Teaching Award (UCLA, 2009)
- University Fellowship (UCLA, 2007-2011)
- Presidential Scholarship (CSULB, 2003-2007)
- Casey, J.R., Schwartz, B.J., Glover, W.J. (2016) Free Energies of Cavity and Noncavity Hydrated Electrons at the Air/Water Interface, Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters, 7, 3192-3198.
- W.J. Glover, J.R. Casey, B.J. Schwartz (2014) Free Energies of Quantum Particles: The Coupled-Perturbed Quantum Umbrella Sampling Method, Journal of Chemical Theory and Computation, 10 (10), 4661-4671.
- J.R. Casey, A. Kahros, B.J. Schwartz (2013) To Be or Not to Be in a Cavity? The Hydrated Electron Dilemma, Feature Article, Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 117 (46), 14173-14182.
- J.R Casey, R.E. Larsen, B.J. Schwartz (2013) Resonance Raman and Temperature-Dependent Electron Absorption Spectra of Cavity and Noncavity Models of the Hydrated Electron, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 110 (8), 2712-2717.