Current Students

Program Information

Please note that major requirements vary depending upon the year you entered UCLA; the year you entered the major; and your previous coursework.

If you are currently in the major, please check your Degree Progress Report for the correct major term and refer to the same requirements below.

If you are interested in entering one of our majors, please consult our department for the major requirements you need to fulfill.

Degree Requirements

Chemistry Majors

Biochemistry Upper-Division Electives:

Concentrations & Specializations:

Declaring or Changing Majors

If you would like to declare either a Biochemistry , Chemistry, Chemistry-Materials Science or General Chemistry major, or are currently in the Chemistry & Biochemistry Department and wish to become a double major, a Change of Major Petition form is available on the Registrar's website or you can pick one up in the Undergraduate Office, 4006 Young Hall.

To switch out of the Chemistry & Biochemistry major into another major, you will need to contact the department into which you seek acceptance.


The Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry does not currently offer a minor. However, many students in the department minor in other subject areas. Some popular minors include:

Undergraduate Student Handbook

The Undergraduate Student Handbook for 2016-2017 is now available online. Click here to download.

Important Links and Other Resources