Faculty and Research
Bioenergy and Environment
Materials and Nanoscience
Metabolism, Aging and Development
Structural and Computational Biology
Systems Biology and Biological Regulation
Theory and Computation
Our Principal Areas of Research
Modern research cuts across traditional disciplinary boundaries, and our faculty play key roles at the forefront of multiple interdepartmental research units at UCLA, including:
- California Nanosystems Insitute
- Molecular Biology Institute
- UCLA Center of Regenerative Medicine & Stem Cell Research
- Institute for Genomics and Proteomics
- UCLA Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center
The Department employs over 50 professors pursuing research in all areas of chemistry and biochemistry. The goals of these research include synthesizing complex natural products, finding ways to create new nanomaterials required to solve the many health and environmental crises facing our planet, and illuminating the molecular mechanisms that regulate the decoding of genetic information, to name a few. Feel free to explore some ot the principle research areas here at UCLA Chemistry and Biochemistry.
Transparent Solar Cells :: Dr. Paul Weiss A new type of solar cell is being studied at UCLA, involving researchers from the California NanoSystems Institute, the UCLA Henry Samueli School of Engineering, and the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry.
This type of solar cells absorbs infrared light instead of visible light, and has various practical applications in portable electronic devices and smart solar windows(building). The best part is that it can be produced at relatively low cost.
Read More >>
Virus Research :: The Gelbart Lab is fascinated by the structural and mechanical properties of viruses. The complex structure and self-assembly of these nanoscale devices in detail provides a problem that is simultaneously at the forefront of statistical mechanics and the life sciences.
Read More >>
- Research in Analytical Chemistry
- Research in Bioenergy and Environment
- Research in Bioohysics
- Research in Inorganic Chemistry
- Research in Materials & Nanoscience
- Research in Metabolism, Aging and Development
- Research in Organic Chemistry
- Research in Physical Chemistry
- Research in Structural and Computational Biology
- Research in Systems Biology and Biological Regulation
- Research in Theory & Computational Chemistry